Friday, April 25, 2014

Old Mass

My first encounter with the Latin Mass was when I debated with the some Catholics who don't accept changes after Vatican II and wanted the Old Mass be celebrated back in all churches in the world, I suddenly became interested with their customs they practice, especially in the Mass. 

I searched the internet about the Mass, and as I looked at the pictures I suddenly realized how beautiful the Mass was in the past before Vatican II. In the Old Mass there were no guitars, no lectors, commentators and a mass army of lay ministers gathering at the altar. Everything was different in the Old Mass and the present Order of the Mass. The beautiful decorations, the hair tingling words of Latin, the down-to-earth tune of the Gregorian chant and everything you could describe the Old Mass. I was impressed by its mystery and majesty. I really wanted to serve in the Old Mass.



Thank God here in Davao I met a group who were inclined to the spirituality and the order of the Mass in the old form. They used to celebrate in different seminaries here, and it is wonderful to meet and befriend new people(I am still in contact with them until now) who shared with me the same feelings and dreams for the group and for the Old Mass. I learned new experiences and lessons with them, and I really thanked them for helping me understand more the beauty and of the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist.

One of the members of the group made me a black cassock and with it I was able to serve the Mass wearing the cassock. I dunno if it still fits for me, but if it isn't I might give it to someone or make it as a relic. We used to have Mass celebrated in a formation house run by a religious congregation a few meters away from our home. We used to celebrate High Masses and Sung Masses and sometimes Low Masses. 


One of the Low Masses celebrated in the Vocationist Formation House. 

It was a privilege for me to serve 3 consecutive Low Masses alone. I searched at the Internet the steps on serving a Low Mass and I was contented at the result. One awkward moment that I did was when I opened the cruets and I smelled the scent of each cruet at the Offertory. My explanation was that I simply followed everything at the video, which includes the server awkwardly doing what I did on that day. 

When I entered the Seminary I wasn't able to participate in their activities, probably because the venue of their activities was very far, and the negative reaction of some of the clergy and some people on the Mass. I also knew that there were internal conflicts in the group with regards of their plans. I was hurt on what was happening today but because of necessity to keep myself safe in my formation, I decided to leave the group for good. 

I really love and appreciate the Latin Mass. I love the mystery, the majesty of the rites and the dignity of the Mass that is well worthy in the presence of the King. But I do not want the Mass to be used as an instrument of nostalgia and rebellion towards the Church authorities. I do not want the Mass to be used as the reason for being isolated in the world because the Church moves as the Holy Spirit moves. As the Holy Spirit moves new opportunities and ideas are welcomed in the Church for us to fulfill the Great Commission of Christ: to preach the Gospel and save souls to all nations. I love the Old Mass because it leads me to appreciate the rich heritage of the Church particularly the liturgy. Most of the rites in the Mass today came from the rites of the Ancient Fathers. 

Today I am not attending their Masses anymore. I do not have contact with some of them in the group. But the love for the Old Mass still never dies. I hope that when the sea turns calm, I may offer myself to serve the Old Mass once again. 






No comments:

Post a Comment