Monday, May 12, 2014

Oasis of Love

To be honest, I was persuaded to attend this 3-day Walk with Jesus Seminar, and I was in a hurry packing up my things for this event which will be held in a retreat house (Sacred Heart Spirituality) near our home. I couldn't disrespect my friend by simply refusing it.  It is my first time that I attend this 3-day activity. I never had the chance to take part when I was still in my pre-college formation; at that time I attended a burial of my uncle outside town. But I decided to join to take this opportunity before going back to the seminary this June. I really hope that this activity would be a boost for me to go on with my chosen vocation and a turnaround in my self-formation.


We, the Batch 18, were very blessed to have facilitators and speakers coming from Cebu! They are the managers and TV personalities from the Cebu Catholic Television Network or CCTV Channel 47 headed by their very own Bro. Nonito "Dodong" Limchua and his wife, the darling Nanay Diane "Mikay" Limchua.
Also they brought apologists and motivational speakers that gave us laughs and lessons to ponder once we end the activity.

In their talks I really appreciated the way they made us entertain with their jokes and their interesting stories. I would realize they are also humans trying to reach out with our hearts with their stories. They used to share that they were once gamblers, womanizers, drunkards and hotheads trying to do everything to please themselves. They were once persecuted by their fellow brethren in their diocese for the sake of preaching about Christ. They used to hate the world because of a society that is very sick and fading away. They used to carry the burden of being a wife of a drunkard and a womanizer.

While listening to their inspiring talks, I asked myself: "Am I going to be changed after this 3-day activity?" I really wanted to go home; I had my bike parked at the parking area. I want to home, I said to myself.
The bad thing is, you will miss a lifetime opportunity of experiencing a 3-day activity and you will become a topic of their gossips and thus creating a bad image of yourself. I reminisced on my life, especially in high school, of being rejected and being a fool. I reminisced on being bullied all the time. I am very tired of being a sucker to everyone; I want to become free from this quicksand of folly. I want to change, I want to become a new me, a strong me.

But the light of Christ changed their lives. The love of Christ reminded them to reject their bad habits and live good lives. The love of Christ strengthened them to help them move on, start over and forgive those who offended him much, even from the men in white. Our Lord Jesus Christ touched their hearts and gave them hope and used them to give hope to those who were in trouble living in this dreaded society. Jesus eased their burdens and taught them to love and accept their neighbors, to whom they have a deep grudge, once again. The Lord Jesus Christ loved and changed the sinners very much, and molded them to become models for others.

As we had this activity called "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" in which we trample card boards with the mortal sins written on it and the elders would anoint us with holy oils, there is this part that really touched me most.
The part when the facilitators kissed your feet. It tickled, really. I really wanted to giggle because I can't resist the tickle part. But as the activity went on and on I suddenly reminisced everything in the past. It really hurts.

But it gave me a message; I must forgive.

A very important thing to change and to forget everything that surrender everything to God.

Then there is the anointing. One by one we were anointed, we received the gifts coming from the Holy Spirit. One by one we fell down so as to feel the power of the Holy Spirit. As the anointing went on people prayed endlessly; they prayed in tongues. One cannot understand for us humans. We would surely laugh at those people who kept on babbling gibberish things. But for them it is prayer, an endless praise and adoration understood by God and by the heavenly hosts. A tool to evangelize and to build churches for centuries.

I felt peace and comfort. Not because the floor was cold but because I felt the peace in Jesus and all my anxieties and worries suddenly disappeared. I had a very light feeling in my mind and in my heart.

On the last day of the activity, the participants shared their experiences. One saw Jesus Christ walking with them at the beach. The other one saw Mama Mary. Another one experienced the shaking of the ground while entering the chapel all by himself. Another one is seeing St. John Paul II being with the mass celebrant wearing his white vestments. And the rest is history. They decided to share it on their way home.

As the activity ended, so is the start of everything new. I know that we will be not change immediately; Rome was not built in a day. I still use cursing, I am still the same me, a sulky and a reserved one. But if we strive to change, he will be a new person. If we only strive.




“Before beginning this celebration, I bring you a greeting. Before I left this morning, I was with Pope Francis, and I told him: “Holy Father, I have to leave soon. I’m going to Rimini where there are thousands upon thousands of faithful of the Charismatic Renewal: men, women and young people.” With a great smile, the Pope said: “Tell them that I love them very much!”  - Archbishop Rino Fisichella

No comments:

Post a Comment