Thursday, October 23, 2014

Two heads to a distance: me and my breviary

Each one has a particular like when he/she recites the Breviary. Here, our beloved Papa Emeritus with his brother in reciting the LOTH. 

I admit I have a particular love for my Breviary. I first bought it when I was in Grade 6 and used it quite frequently in High School. When I entered the seminary, I did not struggle to learn it like my other batchmates did, but I learned other rubrics with ease since I already was familiar with it.

Recently, I decided to bookbind my breviary myself. I tried to bind it with success, and then put it with new ribbons and bought it a new cover. And now, even if I have my mobile phone equipped with an iBreviary app, I could still not stop toying with and using my breviary because it looked new and beautiful.

But looking back on the past, I noticed that as much as I fell in love with my breviary, I also fell out of love with it a lot of times. I thought it was heavy, quite uncomfortable to carry with some weak hands and thought once that reading it was such a burden.

But of all topics I can relate like love, formation and food… why did I select the humble breviary as a nice subject? Simple. My breviary represents my prayer life. It represents my prayer life yesterday, today, and I hope tomorrow.

I usually have a fascination with reciting it along with a nice cup of coffee or a cup of water next to me. Prayer (represented by my breviary) for me is equally refreshing like these two drinks. A day without my daily prayers would be like a day spent in a pigpen: it stinks. I know reciting the breviary is awesome since I know that even as I recite it in my favorite rooftop spot, I am praying with and for the Church to Jesus, who called me and you to pray constantly. Prayer for me is an escape from daily routines to snuggle near the heart of Jesus, at the same time it immerses me into praying for others, especially those who ask for my prayers. It is humbling and gladdening to know that as I pray, I benefit the Church, I help myself to straighten up, and I get to effectively draw others to Christ. Praying has its benefits, people.


Yet I also acknowledge that I have struggles with praying. First, I get too distracted by paperworks, plans, daydreaming and unfinished business. Oftentimes, I wake too early and leave myself a little strength as I pray and attend Mass. This in turn leads to a less effective day, a less force in work and a little will to push on. The Breviary gets heavier, the eyes even more heavier, and in between verses I try to wink a little to sleep. Well, that’s for being human. But I do believe that even without this minimum of just looking into my breviary as other sober seminarians try to recite it, I could not push on to pray at other moments of the day. Prayer enables me to sanely live a day of formation or relaxation or silent contemplation.

For a Christian, and especially for a seminarian, prayer should be as natural as breathing. The Breviary should be seen initially as a companion, then as an indispensable friend who leads us closer to Christ in the Church. Prayer should be seen as a friend who helps us get closer with God each time we are in her spirit.

Meanwhile, the coffee and the breviary beckons as I write this article, I still have to pray my Compline…

No comments:

Post a Comment